Posted to rec.food.cooking
cybercat cybercat is offline

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.

You and I are much alike in our food attitudes and practices. I
eat a wide variety of foods, love trying new things, and have no
food allergies that I know of.

I avoid a lot of white flour and rarely eat sugar unless it is present
in fruit or prepared foods, and I don't eat many processed/prepared
convenience foods. (I avoid the white flour and sugar because I just
feel better when I eat less of them. I want the food I eat to count,
nutrition wise.)

I love fatty foods, especially dairy--cheese is a major favorite, but
I don't eat too much fat, because I am over 40 and don't want to
gain weight.

Liver (except liverwurst) and lima beans (except in vegetable beef
soup) along with all "organ" meats like hearts and stomachs and
such are the only things I will not eat. I grew up being served
liver and lima beans and my mother cooked chicken livers and
hearts. So I was exposed to them, and I just don't like them.

I am attracted to whole foods, like raw peppers and such, because
of the research I've seen in the last 20 years about alleged health
benefits in whole foods that are not in supplements--the whole
being more than just the sum of a food's parts, so to speak.

Just like when I was a smoker and switched to non-menthol
to cut back because I didn't like non-menthol cigs, I now
prefer raw vegetables, fruit, and yogurt to any kind of greasy
potato or corn chips. There's stuff that's bad for me that I
persist in eating, like popcorn loaded with butter, mmmm!
Something's going to kill me one day anyway, though. I'm
betting my head will explode one day from reading idiots
like Lou.