Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus hahabogus is offline

Default Bitter Coleslaw :(

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
news:Bgihj.8804$O97.4049@trndny01:

> "PVC" > wrote in message
> .
> .. On Jan 9, 11:02 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>> Could it be the Splenda?

> Gee, do ya think?
>
> It doesn't normally taste bitter to me. I made cranberry salad with
> it and it was fine.

The reason people cut splenda with sugar is to reduce sweetness as some
find splenda too sweet.

What kind of cabbage was used? I find savoy cabbages bitter.

When I make coleslaw I use regular cabbage and red cabbage (mostly for
colour) carrots, onion and green pepper. I use mayo thinned with vinegar
(regular white) some splenda (1 coffee pkg) and celery seeds as a
dressing...Maybe you can find eggless mayo?.

Try fresh pickled cuccumber and onions ... slices of cukes and white
onion sitting in a vinegar, splenda and some crushed red pepper bath all
to taste. Let it sit at least a half hour before eating to develop
flavour. That should prove whether it was the splenda, or not.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore