Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

Miche wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > Miche wrote:

> > > There's a sizeable Dutch and Dutch-descended population in NZ (about 1%
> > > of our population was born in the Netherlands or descended from a Dutch
> > > person who immigrated, including two of my cousins), and some Dutch
> > > specialties are available here as a result.

> > How very cool! Had no idea.

> The gov't wanted immigrants after WWII so encouraged the Dutch to come
> as they were the "right sort" *cough*white*cough*

LOL! Isn't it always like that. Plus we are so very good at flood
control (since the 50s at any rate...) Turns out that my family had the
option of going to NZ or Oz, but apparently my father thought that was
too 'foreign' for him. Shame; could have had all that great lamb all
those years.

> > > Yes we can get muisjes, speculaasjes, drop (I don't like the dubbel-zout
> > > or salmiak) and other things as well. I grew up on beschuit!

> > Can get good beschuit here but not in the supermarket. Strangely enough
> > the large Asian supermarket carries that and the occasional pack of
> > stroopwafels, speculaas and hagelslag. No drop though; could
> > occasionally get the salmiak pastillen from the German butcher. Can get
> > a lot over the Net but delivery is prohibitive of course.
> > >
> > > Miche (who must admit that she doesn't care for anijsmelk)

> > LOL hey it's good stuff but not every day! Will pester the relatives.
> > They didn't get me anything for my last birthday anyway LOL.
> >
> > Do you like saucijzen brotjes?

> Don't think I've ever had 'em.

Related to UK sausage rolls, but with better sausage and better pastry.
Of course with a wheat sensitivity won't do you much good.

> I did like my cousins' Oma's appelflappen, though. I ought to see if
> Tante Betty has the recipe.
>
> Miche

If she doesn't, we should have one or two recipes.