Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

"Janet Baraclough" > wrote

> from "Michael Kuettner" > contains these words:
>
>> Nutmeg is the nut; mace is the blossom.

> It's not the blossom. Mace is a lacy layer covering the nutmeg , both
> are contained within an outer layer.

I was wondering how that could be called a blossom. Not being
a biologist, I figured maybe it's technically a blossom, somehow.

Unrelated, I watched an episode of a show a couple of weeks ago.
Thought of it with this mace/blossom business. Without going into
details, the story was these people were super-sniffers and they
were sniffing some jerk chicken and decifering what was in it. The
mother ended with Ground nutmeg, not minced! I know it's for laughs,
but I thought ... minced nutmeg? Good luck with that!

nancy