Old 25-12-2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] is offline

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed and
mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Anybody?

Mace is "spicier" has more bite or kick imo, but i like it so much i use
it as a form of incense, i think i like the aroma better than the flavour.

Nutmeg on the other hand seems mild and "smooth" not spicy to me.
--
JL