Alex Rast

Default Why is puff pastry sensitive to tiny differences in method?

at Mon, 01 Dec 2003 06:16:12 GMT in
Kuntze) wrote :

>Alex Rast wrote:
>
>>at Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:57:55 GMT in
>,
(H. W.
>><Hans
>>Kuntze) wrote :
>>[...]
>>
>>But the method that works (starting with
>>2 layers, use 6*tri-fold, if I understand your terminology), would
>>yield 1458 layers. For me that produces outstanding results. The method
>>that doesn't work (start with 2 layers, use 5*bookfold), would be 1024.
>>This would appear to be fewer layers and thus less risk of layer
>>combining, not more.
>>

>5 bookfolds would give you 2048 layers. Way too much for a mille
>feuille. first = 8
>second = 32
>third = 128
>fourth = 512
>fifth = 2048

A difficulty in expressing the exact number. For the last folding, I only
folded in half, i.e. after 512, I fold in half for 1024 and do not fold
again for 2048. I've calculated and recalculated the theoretical layer
count, just to make sure I'm not missing anything. No, the non-functional
method for me is *definitely* 1024 layers, the functional one 1458.

>> [...]
>>
>>It's worth noting that the my working method, ending at 1480 layers,
>>uses low-gluten pastry flour. I did try it once with super-high protein
>>bread flour, but the result was too tough and chewy (I'd have expected
>>that anyway)
>>

>Nope, although I routinely cut GM's All Trump or BigLoaf with 25%
>SoftAsSilk, because the sheeter will work better with a slightly softer
>flour than with straight bread flour..The quality of the baked goods is
>slightly better (not enough to bother with) with a straight bread flour.
>More distinct layers.

That's actually why I decided to experiment with bread flour. I figured the
higher gluten would allow a thinner layer, and thus more distinct layers as
you suggest, and that I could probably live with the increase in chewiness,
which I figured wouldn't be too awfully bad if I wasn't handling the dough
or sheet roughly. But it was really quite tough indeed.

>The puff pastry only gets tough when it is not baked properly, e.g. at
>450F till it rises and finished at 350F. That means, it will bake in a
>fat puddle if it is baked at a steady temp...

So do you mean that the proper method is to start at 450 then end at 350,
or start at some fixed temperature and end at the same temperature?

--
Alex Rast