Posted to rec.food.equipment
Seth Goodman Seth Goodman is offline

Default 10" vs. 12" chef's knife

In article > on Fri, 21 Dec
2007 12:37:16 GMT, KLS wrote:

> I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
> or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
> can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
> sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.
>
> Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

Well, my first advice, of course, would be to try them in person. If
that's not possible - are you planning for this to be your every day
heavy usage chef's knife? If so, I think 12" is too long.

Also, if you're planning to keep it in a block, most of them won't hold
knives over 10".

I went from an 8" Sabatier to a 10" Henckels 4 Star to a Wusthof 10"
extra-wide. I really, really like the 10" extra-wide. It's got a little
extra rock, and more heft, than the standard 10" knives, without the
excessive (IMO) length of the 12".

--
Seth Goodman