Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Garbage Disposal

Oh pshaw, on Wed 19 Dec 2007 06:57:30p, Goomba38 meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> Poor Julie! What a mess to deal with. We don't currently have a
>> garbage disposal because we're on a septic system and having one is ill
>> advised. However, I have had In-Sink-Erator units in the last 4 houses
>> I've lived in and never had a clogging problem. There was very little
>> we didn't grind up in it, including small bones, corn cobs...really
>> tough stuff. In 3 of those houses the plumbing was new, the 4th house
>> was older. However, I attribute it to the particular units we had. If
>> the grinding mechanism is doing a good job, there's no really good
>> reason for the drain to clog. Unless, of couse, the drains have a lot
>> of build up in them and it makes passing anything but liquid difficult
>> to get through.
>>

> Why would you *want* to put corn cobs and bones in the disposal though?
> Tossing them into the garbage would be a lot easier and use less water
> and energy (and save that noise) than using the disposal for them.
> I have a heavy duty InSink-Erator and yet when it makes more sense to
> just scrape things into the trash or composter, that is what I do. And I
> do use my disposal often enough. I am just stunned by the things you and
> Julie write about here...?

Believe me, I wish I had a disposal now that I live in AZ. We don't/won't
compost. We have no need of it. I have no intention of storing garbage in
my freezer until collection day. You have no idea what garbage can smell
like after it sits in 110-115 degree heat, even for a few hours, and even
when sealed in plastic bags. We also have an animal problem here with the
trash barrels.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 19,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
3dys 19hrs 4mins 4secs
When I die, I want to go peacefully in
my sleep like my father did, not
screaming in terror like his passengers.