Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Garbage Disposal

Oh pshaw, on Wed 19 Dec 2007 09:58:51p, Julie Bove meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>
>> Poor Julie! What a mess to deal with. We don't currently have a
>> garbage disposal because we're on a septic system and having one is ill
>> advised. However, I have had In-Sink-Erator units in the last 4 houses
>> I've lived in and never had a clogging problem. There was very little
>> we didn't grind up in it, including small bones, corn cobs...really
>> tough stuff. In 3 of those houses the plumbing was new, the 4th house
>> was older. However, I attribute it to the particular units we had. If
>> the grinding mechanism is doing a good job, there's no really good
>> reason for the drain to clog. Unless, of couse, the drains have a lot
>> of build up in them and it makes passing anything but liquid difficult
>> to get through.

> I didn't know about the septic system. My parents have a septic system
> and a garbage disposal. Hmmm... I would never have thought to put a
> corn cob down. And I've read that a major source of clogs in the Fall
> is from pumpkins and their guts.

Actually, In-Sink-Erator has a newer model specifically designed for use
with septic systems. It has an additional component, a small reservoir,
that pumps a special enzyme into the grinding chamber while the machine is
running. It's supposed to aid in the "digestion" of whatever one might put
down the disposal. We have been considering this, but haven't made a
decision yet.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 19,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
3dys 19hrs 4mins 4secs
When I die, I want to go peacefully in
my sleep like my father did, not
screaming in terror like his passengers.