Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Garbage Disposal

Oh pshaw, on Wed 19 Dec 2007 09:59:26p, Julie Bove meant to say...

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>>> Poor Julie! What a mess to deal with. We don't currently have a
>>> garbage disposal because we're on a septic system and having one is
>>> ill advised. However, I have had In-Sink-Erator units in the last 4
>>> houses I've lived in and never had a clogging problem. There was very
>>> little we didn't grind up in it, including small bones, corn
>>> cobs...really tough stuff. In 3 of those houses the plumbing was new,
>>> the 4th house was older. However, I attribute it to the particular
>>> units we had. If the grinding mechanism is doing a good job, there's
>>> no really good reason for the drain to clog. Unless, of couse, the
>>> drains have a lot of build up in them and it makes passing anything
>>> but liquid difficult to get through.
>>>

>> Why would you *want* to put corn cobs and bones in the disposal though?
>> Tossing them into the garbage would be a lot easier and use less water
>> and energy (and save that noise) than using the disposal for them.
>> I have a heavy duty InSink-Erator and yet when it makes more sense to
>> just scrape things into the trash or composter, that is what I do. And
>> I do use my disposal often enough. I am just stunned by the things you
>> and Julie write about here...?

> Mine is an Insinkerator. Old one was and so is the new one.

Then it sounds like you have some really serious plumbing problems in more
than one place in your house. There aren't really many other possible
explanations.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 19,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
3dys 19hrs 4mins 4secs
When I die, I want to go peacefully in
my sleep like my father did, not
screaming in terror like his passengers.