Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlene Charette Charlene Charette is offline

Default Garbage Disposal

Sqwertz wrote:

> Many US cities and towns had regulations against putting food
> waste (garbage) into the sewer system. In-Sink-Erator spent
> considerable effort, and convinced many localities to rescind the
> prohibitions. Eventually, many localities even mandated the use
> of disposals. New York City banned their use until 1997."

Our current deed restrictions require a disposal. This neighborhood was
built in the 1980s.

> It does seem kinda strange considering all the other human waste
> that *is* allowed to enter the sewage system. You can flush a
> turd, but not potato peels.

Not strange at all. It has to do with sewage treatment. Food that has
been through your system breaks down more easily than food you put down
the disposal. This is one of the reasons you don't want to use a
disposal with a septic system.

--Charlene

--
Law of the Telephone: If you dial a wrong number, you never get a busy
signal.

email perronnellec at earthlink . net