Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Garbage Disposal

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 01:32:48 GMT, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So he did all this work and then told me never to USE the disposal. I
>> was
>> like... Say what? Why do I have it then? He told me a disposal was
>> only
>> meant to handle the lone bite of meat, bit of gravy or couple of peas
>> left
>> on a plate. It could handle that just fine, but it could not handle
>> large
>> amounts of food and would get clogged if I put too much down it. Said my
>> best bet was never to put food down it deliberately and to run plenty of
>> hot
>> water down it every day.

> My garbage disposal manual says I can put chicken bones in it.
> If it can't handle egg shells, then it has a serious problem.

Hmmm... They didn't give me a manual with the new one. Wonder why?

>> Oddly, each time the plumbers came, they commented that there was no
>> grease
>> in the trap. They said most clogs were caused by grease but mine never
>> were. My parents told me years ago never to put grease down the sink and
>> never did.

> Sometimes I get a backup right where the non-disposal side of the
> double sink meets the outtake from the garbage disposal. For
> example, potato skins will do that. That sound like where some
> of your problems were. It's pretty easy to pop it off, clean it
> out, and pop it back on.

I have heard that potato skins are a bad one. But I used to always peel my
potatoes straight into the sink at other places where I lived and no
problems.

>> But I find this hard to believe that I can never use the disposal. I've
>> lived in plenty of places and most of them had disposals. I've never had
>> problems like this. Except for the time I tried to put the daisies down
>> the
>> disposal. I figured they were kind of like salad. But I've also been
>> told
>> salad should never go down the disposal either.

> I think your plumber is pulling your leg.

Seems that way. But I'm still scared to use it. I did put some Shepard's
Pie down it earlier today and so far no problems.