Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee.Dee Dee.Dee is offline

Default Garbage Disposal

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
> Poor Julie! What a mess to deal with. We don't currently have a garbage
> disposal because we're on a septic system and having one is ill advised.
> However, I have had In-Sink-Erator units in the last 4 houses I've lived
> in
> and never had a clogging problem. There was very little we didn't grind
> up
> in it, including small bones, corn cobs...really tough stuff. In 3 of
> those houses the plumbing was new, the 4th house was older. However, I
> attribute it to the particular units we had. If the grinding mechanism is
> doing a good job, there's no really good reason for the drain to clog.
> Unless, of couse, the drains have a lot of build up in them and it makes
> passing anything but liquid difficult to get through.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

We've lived in this particular house 14 years now with a septic system, and
have had a disposal all the time. (We just got a new one recently because
of getting a new undercounter sink.

I don't put a lot of things in it because I don't like to pay the septic
guy that big-time money to get it pumped more often; but I do like it
because I don't have to pick those excess pieces out of the sink by hand.

Dee Dee