Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] is offline

Default Report on REC: Apple And Calvados Croustade

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 06:39:13 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>Terry, I made this yesterday - pretty successful. I ended up using my
>square angel-food cake pan and I piled the phyllo around the center
>tube. I lightly greased the pan (the directions didn't say to grease
>the pan but I'm glad I did).

<snip suggestions, duly noted>

Nancy, thank you for the post. I've been trying to get to this recipe
ever since I posted it. Between work and Christmas insanity, I just
haven't gotten around to it. In fact, the cooking/baking factor around
here has been about zip, as my [law] office goes into end-of-year mode
and my boss decided that it'd be a fun time to make a motion for a
preliminary injunction that makes my eyes bleed just thinking about
it. However, I am saving your suggestions for a more calm and peaceful
New Year (or wishful thinking thereof).

I am so glad it turned out well thanks to your inherent cooking
intuitiveness!

Do you think that too much "juice" was a good thing and cooking it
down was is better than cutting the apples and sugar back? Even given
a nice, fat vanilla bean, would you recommend adding that extra
teaspoon of vanilla extract?

>Thanks for posting the recipe - definitely a keeper. If I were
>serving this at home, I would warm the leftover apples and serve them
>alongside in case someone wanted to spoon some over their serving.

So, don't cut back on the apples? And you're welcome.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"