Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2 Nancy2 is offline

Default REC: Apple And Calvados Croustade

On Dec 12, 10:00 pm, Terry Pulliam Burd >
wrote:
> I haven't tried this recipe yet, but the photo and the recipe in the
> LA Times today (yes, another LA Times recipe - they do get a few
> things right :-) looked so good that I'm itching to make it this
> weekend. I had never heard of a "croustade," but the photo and recipe
> in the Times looked for all the world like a "deconstructed" apple pie
> on steroids. If I can pull this off and have it look half as cool (and
> taste half as good as it looks), I am going to be seriously jazzed.
>
> Then again, I don't get out much <g>
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Apple And Calvados Croustade
>
> desserts
>
> 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
> 6 black arkansas or rome apples; peeled, cored, 1/3 slices
> 1 moist, plump vanilla bean
> 1/4 cup sugar
> 1/3 cup calvados
> 8 sheets filo dough
> 1/2 cup powdered sugar (or more, as needed)
> 1/3 cup sliced almonds, divided
>
> The recipe is traditional from Gascony, hence the Armagnac, but
> Calvados, the apple brandy from Normandy, is also wonderful. Feel free
> to use the traditional Armagnac, if you prefer. Be sure to use a large
> enough skillet (13 inches is perfect) so the apples caramelize
> properly.
>
> 1. Melt 4 tablespoons (one-half stick) of butter in a large skillet
> over medium heat. Place the apple slices in a bowl. Cut the vanilla
> bean lengthwise in half and, using the tip of a small knife, scrape
> the seeds over the apples and drop the pod on top. When the butter is
> foamy, add the apples with the vanilla and the sugar and cook,
> stirring very gently but frequently, until the apples are lightly
> caramelized and soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add the Calvados and,
> using a long match and standing well back, set it aflame. When the
> flames subside, turn the apples over in the Calvados; when the flames
> have died out and the Calvados has reduced to a glaze, transfer the
> apples to a bowl and allow them to cool to room temperature.
>
> 2. Center a rack in the oven and heat it to 350 degrees. Place a
> 10-inch tart ring on a baking sheet lined with a silicon mat or
> parchment. Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons butter and set it aside.
> Unfold the filo dough on your work surface and cover it with a damp
> towel.
>
> 3. Remove the top sheet of filo (re-cover the remaining sheets), brush
> it lightly with butter, and dust it with powdered sugar shaken from a
> fine-mesh strainer. Gently and loosely crumple the dough into a circle
> and lay it into the pastry ring. Sprinkle it with about one-fifth of
> the almonds. Repeat this procedure three more times, until you have
> four buttered, sugared and almond-sprinkled sheets of filo layered in
> the ring. Do not press them together -- let them keep some height.
>
> 4. Spoon the apples into the center of the croustade, leaving a 1-inch
> [...]

Terry, what would you use for the 10-inch "tart ring?" The ring molds
I have are too narrow for a phyllo layer with apples in the center
leaving a border of phyllo - and the directions say to "remove the
tart ring."

I have flan pans and tart pans with removable bottoms - d'you think
those would work? I can see why this should end up right side up
without being turned over to dislodge it from the pan.

N.