Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
:-/ :-/ is offline

Default Alameda Swap Meet (slightly OT)

On Dec 10, 3:13�am, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone know much about this place?

Yes, it's a area that's overwhelmed with illegal aliens and
gangbangers called "cholos" and drug dealers. Americans who live in
Los Angeles don't go down there.

> I saw this on Anthony Bourdain and am curious as to whether it's a good
> place for a day out.

Only if you like being stared at because you're the only White person
there. Bourdain is French-Arab and could pass for a Cuban. The cholos
would resent him a little bit less than they would resent you, but
they would look at the ear ring in his ear and consider that he might
debauch himself with them.

> There will be me, my wife, son 20 and daughter 16.

Take them to some nice sit down restaurant. Search http://www.elmerdills.com/
for really good restaurants in Southern Californa that serve Mexican,
Spanish, Peruvian, or El Salvadoran food.

I very frankly *despise* Anthony Bourdain. He likes to go slumming, so
he went to a swap meet and ate the immigrant street food, but that
doesn't make it *good* food.

> The food stalls looked ok but I wonder if there's anything else of interest?

Sure. Los Angeles has its classic tourist places like Phillipe's
(claims to have invented the french dip sandwich), and The Pantry and
Barney's Beanery, etc.

There are just too many nice places to go instead of wasting time with
a swap meet or a taco stand in the slums.

Personally, I like to get completely out of Los Angeles and head up to
Santa Barbara, 90 miles north. You can get any kind of cuisine you
want in Santa Barbara and it's an upscale city on the beach.