Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake)From Falling (Sinking) To

sf wrote:

> >I just made my Christmas (light) fruit cake the other day. The recipe I use
> >makes a very thick batter. The fruit does not budge during the baking.
> >The batter I use is 2 cups soft butter, 2 cups sugar, 8 eggs, 1 cup sour
> >cream, 3 Tblsp lemon juice, 2 tsp. lemon rind 5 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp.
> >baking soda 1 tsp. salt. Then I use 3 cups raisins, 2 cups each green and
> >red cherries and 2 cups pineapple. I leave out the dates and pecans. I toss
> >the fruit in the flour mixture before stirring it into the wet ingredients.
> >It is so think I have to wet a spatula to spread in into the loaf pans.

> Is that recipe in your computer? If so, would you please post it?

Fruit Cake

3 cups Seedless white raisins
2 cups red glazed cherries
2 cups green glazed cherries
2 cups candied pineapple
2 cups pitted dates (optional)
1 cup coarsely ground pecans (optional)
5 ½ cups All purpose flour
½ tsp Baking Soda
¾ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Mace
2 cups soft butter
2 cups granulated sugar
8 eggs
½ pint sour cream
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 tsp. Grated lemon rind
3 Tbsp. Lemon juice

- Blend butter and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream,
vanilla, lemon juice and granted rind.

- Place the fruits in a large bowl, sift dry ingredients over the fruit and
stir together. Add liquid mixture to the dry and stir to mix thoroughly.

- Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more than
half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.

- Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.

Allow loves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over each
loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit for at
least a few days before eating. If not using them within two weeks they
should be frozen.