Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Bluesea[_2_] Bluesea[_2_] is offline

Default How can you tell if tea has caffeine?

"Brent" > wrote in message
> > So, now I'm in the position of wondering if the myth about DIY
> > decaffeinating is a myth since apparently anybody can put up a webpage

with
> > the scientific basis for whatever's being touted.
> >
> > "I know it's true; I read it on the Internet!"

> The difference is that there are published journal articles in support
> of the fact that DIY decaffeination is a myth.
>
> I refer you he http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2477703
>
> "The overall average caffeine released in the first through third
> brews were 69%, 23%, and 8%, respectively." Though it doesn't say so
> in the abstract available at the link above, in the full article it is
> said that the infusions were 5 minutes each. So... if 5 minutes
> removes 69%, how much do you really think 30 seconds will?

Logically, not enough to matter.

Thanks for the link and the info about the 5-minute steep. Did you notice
the next lines?

"Three cups of tea brewed using three tea bags (Western culture) have
approximately twice the amount of methylxanthines as the same volume
prepared by three successive brews of loose tea leaves (Asian culture). "

Does the full article address the reason for the doubled amount of
methylxanthines? That's a curiosity since the volume and steep time were the
same for both cultural preparations.

--
~~Bluesea~~