Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Brent[_4_] Brent[_4_] is offline

Default How can you tell if tea has caffeine?

> So, now I'm in the position of wondering if the myth about DIY
> decaffeinating is a myth since apparently anybody can put up a webpage with
> the scientific basis for whatever's being touted.
>
> "I know it's true; I read it on the Internet!"

The difference is that there are published journal articles in support
of the fact that DIY decaffeination is a myth.

I refer you he http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2477703

"The overall average caffeine released in the first through third
brews were 69%, 23%, and 8%, respectively." Though it doesn't say so
in the abstract available at the link above, in the full article it is
said that the infusions were 5 minutes each. So... if 5 minutes
removes 69%, how much do you really think 30 seconds will?

-Brent