Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Stacey Stacey is offline

Default My yeast never rise my dough

> Whole grain flours will absorb a lot more water than refined flours.
> However, when the starters show signs of life, they will get a bit
> thinner. Also, after a few days, you can switch to white flour if you
> prefer.

The only reason I never tried whole grain flour was because I read
somewhere that the bran isn't metabolized by the yeast, and will
eventually rot if not used regularly. Since I am a weekend baker, I
went for the supposedly better storage capability of the white flour.

If I get a starter going on this flour, I may go ahead and maintain it
for a while this way and see what kind of loaf it makes.

Stacey