Posted to rec.food.cooking
T[_1_] T[_1_] is offline

Default Credit Card Skimming in Local Restaurant

In article >, ost
says...
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 00:36:26 -0500, T wrote:
>
> > There's always room for fraud. Those mobile terminals are wireless
> > terminals. As it currently stands, a suitably equipped PC can crack WEP
> > passwords fairly easily. I wouldn't imagine WPA is far behind.
> >
> > And knowing device manufacturers like I know device manufacturers, they
> > took the cheap way out as far as encrypting the wireless connection.

> The devices (and software) themselves encrypt the data, much like
> a secure internet website. They may or may not use wireless
> encryption on top of that.
>
> -sw

Sort of like the credit card terminals at Stop & Shop's in southern New
England. Seems some enterprising fellows stole one and modified the
software on it and then went to numerous Stop & Shop stores and uploaded
their special package into those terminals. It recorded every card
swiped then transmitted it back to the theives. I know, my card got
caught up in the mess.

Now Stop & Shop has all brand new terminals.