Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Credit Card Skimming in Local Restaurant

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Goomba38" > wrote
>
>> That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
>> restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.

> My American Express information was stolen and used by
> someone in a local store where no one took my card out of
> my sight. I don't know about this swiping business, all they
> need to know is printed right there on the card. I was
> lucky I just happened to notice the charges piling up on my
> card while it was still only $1700.

Happened to me with my debit card. Some guy tried to buy a laptop computer
at Overstock.com with it. Luckily, Overstock realized it wasn't me. Now
how my Paypal account got hacked the other day is beyond me. Luckily I was
online at the time but what a horrible thing to watch the hack taking place
right before your eyes. Two charges were put on the account. I got a
refund on the first one but am waiting to for the second one to respond.
Since that's a porn site, I am not too hopeful.