Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Credit Card Skimming in Local Restaurant

On Dec 6, 8:55�am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote
>
> > That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
> > restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.

> My American Express information was stolen and used by
> someone in a local store where no one took my card out of
> my sight. �I don't know about this swiping business, all they
> need to know is printed right there on the card. �I was
> lucky I just happened to notice the charges piling up on my
> card while it was still only $1700.
>
> nancy

This is true... all someone needs is the credit card number,
expiration date, code number from the back of the card, and the
billing address... no one needs to swipe a credit card to make a
purchase on line or over the phone... and one can give any shipping
address.

But, the thing is the major credit card companys have very
sophisticated safeties built in so that a card can't make multiple
purchases, can't make simultaneous purchases, can't make purchases
within a short time frame, can't make purchases of similar items
within a particular time frame (ie. will reject for more than one TV,
vacuum cleaner, auto tires, etc. within say a one month period), and
many other features. I know this works because on a few occasions my
Visa has been rejected when I purchased an item and then went back the
next day to buy another identical item... happened at Staples when I
bought a cannon printer, and went the next day to buy one for my
brother as a gift... had to speak with a visa rep on the phone to
explain and supply certain identifying info.

It's a good idea to ask for a new card number with each new card
issued... my visa is good for three years, costs me $5 to get a new
number each time, same fee as for a reissue if you report a card lost/
stolen.

And of course everyone needs a paper shredder, and use it.. makes a
great holiday gift.

Sheldon