Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default My yeast never rise my dough

Hi again,

> Wow, didn't expect anyone to be up at this time of night- thanks for
> the reply.

I shouldn't be.....
> The analogy of the yard is a good one, that makes a lot of sense.
>

>> The equivalents in the starter are to feed regularly and enough. I like
>> to feed my starter twice a day, enough to double its size, and a mix of
>> 1 part flour to 1 part water by weight, or 2 parts water to 3 parts of
>> flour by volume. Or, for 1/2 cup of starter, I add about 1/4 cup of
>> water and 3/8 cup of flour.
>>

> I also use a 2:3 ratio when feeding my established starter, and either
> use it or feed again every 12 hours when I have it out, but thought
> that a new starter needed more time and water in the beginning. After
> reading Joe's posts and the responses to them, I realized that is
> probably wasn't true.

Some people don't feed their starters until they show signs of life.
I've realized that may not be the best way to go. If you look at
Professor Calvel's approach to starting a starter
(http://www.sourdoughhome.com/profess...lsstarter.html) he does go a
bit longer than twice a day for the first feeding, but he starts feeding
early and often. (That is also a stiffer starter, so it is a bit slower
and a bit more powerful.) Not feeding your starter until it shows signs
of life is a lot like not feeding your kids until they make the honor
roll.... except no one will come into your house to take your starter
away from you.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
Speed
Was high
Weather was not
Tires were thin