Jim Lane

Default Cinco de Mayo

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >, wrote:
>

>>Karen O'Mara wrote:

>>>Your name-calling shows your agitation and intolerance.

>>My dictionary says a country in Noorth or South america. That makes them
>>American. Go argue with your Funk and Wagnalls.
>>
>>You are an arrogant, ethnocentic, self-referencing ignorant bimbo.
>>That's not name calling. It is a statement of fact.

> Karen has always been a respectful and polite poster, even if she is wrong
> in this one instance.
>
> I think what Karen is arguing is that it is true that people in the US
> call themselves "americans". I agree with that. My point is that people
> outside the US don't agree with this definition, and neither does the
> dictionary (at least not as an exclusive meaning). As this is an
> international newsgroup, we should honor the international definition and
> not what people in the US think.

Precisely the point I raised in my first post. Anyone who has travelled
internationally and paid attention (I'll admit sometimes the clues are
very subtle or abstract), would start to catch the drift. Those of us
along the border can see it happening daily.

I agree with your accessment of Karen. This sub-thread has been an
exception to her normal demeanor.

jim