Posted to rec.food.cooking
T[_1_] T[_1_] is offline

Default Credit Card Skimming in Local Restaurant

In article >, sf says...
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:23:50 -0600, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
> >Normally there's a long wait unless you get there very early. It's a shame
> >the owner is reporting business has dropped off because of this scheme. It
> >was certainly not her fault.

> It's time more restaurants adopted the European style portable card
> readers. Your credit card never leaves your sight, so there is less
> room for fraud.

There's always room for fraud. Those mobile terminals are wireless
terminals. As it currently stands, a suitably equipped PC can crack WEP
passwords fairly easily. I wouldn't imagine WPA is far behind.

And knowing device manufacturers like I know device manufacturers, they
took the cheap way out as far as encrypting the wireless connection.