Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mark Filice Mark Filice is offline

Default Finally--Great Ribs!

In article > , Nunya Bidnits
says...

>Do you cut your own spareribs down to St Louis cut or buy them precut?

I buy cryopack ribs and then trim them myself.

>I usually buy cryo ribs and cut them down myself to St. Louis cut, and can
>then still use the good trimmings, like the flap, as meat seasoning for
>baked beans or chopped and sauced. I really like the uniform shape and
>cooking characteristics of St. Louis ribs best, even more than baby backs,
>which to me have a somewhat hammy taste.

Baby back ribs cost more, and they don't have as much meat on them. If I'm going
to take them time to smoke 'em, I might as well do the full racks.

I made a dish on the smoker called Calico beans. It is 4 different kinds of
beans with Bush's baked beans as the base. The recipe calls for crumpled bacon
and ground beef. I made them for a party a couple of years ago--and everyone
loved them.

So this time, I smoked the trimmings from the ribs, chopped them up and put them
in the bean pot in place of the bacon.

The beans tasted great.

Mark