Posted to rec.food.sourdough
[email protected] Polymer@aol.com is offline

Default My yeast never rise my dough

In a message dated 12/05/07 11:43:51, writes:

> Isn't that the point - maintaining a healthy starter?
>
> BTW, this morning at 6 AM I _finally_ saw the entire mixture (both the bread
> flour and whole wheat flour) creating bubbles throughout - meaning there was
> no separation as I had before. This has been almost 5 full days since the
> beginning rush and collapse of these starters.
>
> I don't know what I did differently except feed it when I saw liquid
> starting to form on the top. This turned out to be approximately 12 hours
> from each feeding.
>
> I still have yet to see a real sponge appearance of the starter. If I have
> that, then I know I finally have the yeast for which I have been hoping.
>
> After that it is all about maintainence.

You are using a 1/1 BY VOLUME ratio of water/flour. That means you have a
hydration of 188%. At that hydration the water will always separate since the
flour cannot hold that much water. There is nothing wrong with this
hydration, I use it myself.

Now to get a sponge that will rise you need to add enough flour to the equal
volume starter that you have to get an equal weigh starter.

If you have equal volume starter (equal volumes of flour and water) and you
need equal weight starter (equal weights of flour and water), take one cup of
starter (9 oz.) and add 2/3 cup (2.8 oz.) of flour. Mix well and thereafter
add 1 cup (8 oz,) of water and 1 3/4 cup (8 oz.) of flour (or multiples of
same) to refresh the starter.

I will bet that your starter will now double or even triple in volume within
6 hours. Use a container large enough to handle this increase in volume.

Resident Conservative Curmudgeon

Ford

Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest
products.