Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mark Filice Mark Filice is offline

Default Finally--Great Ribs!

The last few times I've cooked St. Louis ribs, I've been disappointed with the
results. Everyone else liked them--but I felt that either they were done too
much, or not enough, or the spices weren't right. I'm my own worst critic.

Yesterday, I cooked 2 slabs using Dr. BBQ's rub recipe from one of "Dr. BBQ's"
(Ray Lampe) books. I also cooked them per his instructions:

The rub recipe is located here,

http://www.drbbq.com/drbbqrecipes.html#Ribs%20anchor

But the cooking schedule on the website and the book are different. Here is what
is in the book:

2 hours meat side up
1 hour rib side up
Then sprinkle honey and brown sugar onto aluminum foil and wrap them up.
Back on the smoker for 90 minutes
Then unwrap them and finish them with his glaze for 30 minutes.

I cooked them on an offset barrel smoker and the temp was right at 230 degrees.

I followed the above schedule. These ribs came out the best I've ever cooked.
They were cooked so with just a little pulling the meat came away--just the
perfect taste of BBQ and sweetness.

A full rack will generally feed the wife, daughter and myself. The other rack is
normally saved for another meal.

We only had 1/2 rack left after dinner. Next time I'm going to cook 3 racks.

Mark