Mark Preston

Default Cinco de Mayo

<snip>

I love any holiday that isn't as commercial as Christmas. I like Cinco
de Mayo as I've spent most of my adult life (40 years now) living in
the Southwest U.S. and as such am in favor of 5/5. Still, from a
cultural viewpoint, I wish I could understand how we came to pick this
day over any other.

Still, that is not the reason 5/5 celebrated from Maine to San Diego.
Admittedly, Corona had a lot to do with using the day to 'knock back a
few', but come on . . . below is a list of the Mexican "official"
holidays. If we had to pick just one, would we have chosen Cinco de
Mayo on our own? Would not Constitution Day be somewhat more similar
with US?

By the bye: I see signs that the US is now starting to celebrate Dia
de los Muertos, tambien.

You and each of you "get a grip" (gripe)

Mexican Holidays
Banks, governmental institutions, and some businesses will be.

January 1
Año Nuevo (New Year's Day). Celebrated with fireworks on New Year's
eve and Parades and Fiestas on New Year's Day.

February 5
Día de la Constitución (Constitution Day). Anniversary of the new
Constitution which came into effect in 1917.

March 21
Aniversario de Benito Juarez (Benito Juarez's Birthday). Celebration
of the birthday of one of Mexico's greatest national heroes.

Easter Week
Easter is one of the most celebrated holidays in Mexico. Fiestas,
parades, visits to the family and numerous religious processions and
services mark the event.

May 1
Día del Trabajo (Day of Work). Celebrated with a large parade.

May 5
Día de la Batalla de Puebla (Cinco de Mayo). Celebrated in remembrance
of the defeat of the French at Puebla in 1862.

September 1
State of the nation address by the president, a tradition since 1824.

September 16
Día de la Independencia (Independence Day). Celebrated by the
traditional "grito" or call to arms that Father Hidalgo called out at
the start of the war for independence. Parades, fiestas, fireworks,
and other celebrations mark the occasion.

October 12
Día de la Raza (Day of the Race). The day that Columbus discovered
America. Celebrated in Mexico as the day that the Spanish and Indian
people merged to become the Mexican people.

November 1 & 2
Todos los Santos (All Saint's Day) and Día de los Muertos (All Soul's
Day). Celebrated by remembrance of the dead with flowers, food, drink,
and candles at the nation's cemeteries.

November 2
Día de los Muertos (Dai of the dead), the day the sould of the dead
are believed to return to earth. Not really an official holiday but
widely celebrated and perhaps Mexico's most characteristic event.
You'll see signs of this celebration all over the place.

November 20
Día de la Revolución (Day of the Revolution). The anniversary of
Madero's call to arms to oust Porfirio Diaz. Celebrated with long
parades, fiestas, and fireworks.

December 8
Festival of the Immaculate Conception. Celbrated with religious
festivities across the nation.

December 12
Fiesta de nuestra Señora de Guadalupe (Festival of Our Lady of
Guadalupe) Celebrated by pilgrimages to the Basilica of the Madonna of
Guadalupe in Mexico City, processions in cities all over the country,
dance performances and Catholic Mass.

December 25
Navidad (Christmas). Celebrated with gift giving and religious
services.

In addition to these national holidays, there are many local holidays
and festivals unique to individual cities.