Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dana Myers Dana Myers is offline

Default I screwed up

Nonnymus wrote:
> Well, I guess it was about time I got my comeuppance, and I sure did- in
> spades. We were at the son's place over Thanksgiving, and he wanted to
> have old Dad show him how I prepared and smoked the butts he so fondly
> remembers. He has a Bradley we got him about 6 months back, and is now
> quite proficient with wings, ribs and brisket, but hasn't done a butt
> yet. I also got him a digital controller for the Bradley, but he'd not
> used it yet.

Sounds like a recipe for trouble. Unfamiliar cooker, trying out
something new on the cooker, etc.

My rule of thumb for butts/shoulders is to allow 90 minutes/lbs
cooking around 250F. If it gets done sooner, great, and it's
rarely not done "in time".

What temperature do you normally cook butts at?

Dana