Frogleg

Default tacos tapatios

(Girly) wrote:

>> >Are tacos tapatios and flautas the same thing? If not, what is the

>difference?
>>
>> I'd never heard of 'tapatios' and Googled a bit. Tapatio appears to be
>> the name of several US and Mexican resort hotels and a hot sauce.

>I'll bet you that "Girly" meant taquitos. I think that the definitions
>are pretty loose. I've seen rolled tacos, and taquitos and flautas seem
>pretty much the same, deep-fried rolled tacos.

Taquitos came from Mac's drive in in Albuquerque. The world's
greasiest. They were deep-fried flautas with perhaps a teaspoon of
mystery meat enclosed, and served with tiny, tiny cups of either hot
red or "guacamole" sauce. Almost guaranteed to produce indigestion in
even the resilient guts of teenagers. But delicious. :-)

tacos -- the January issue of Bon Appetit features "rib eye tacos
with onion jam and horseradish creme fraiche." This concoction is
sesrved on flour tortillas trimmed to 5" squares and warmed in the
oven.

So taco, taquito, flauta, and heaven knows what other names are used
for *anything* that involves a corn or flour tortilla. Not to say that
anything involving a tortilla is necessarily one of the above. No
solid ground at all.