David Wright

Default flowers as food

On 5 Jan 2004 09:54:25 -0800, (Shelora)
wrote:

>Hello again,
> On my recent trip to Mexico we explored the Mixteca Alta region of
>Oaxaca and were lucky to eat a dish made with the beautiful red flower
>known as Colorin or Tzompantle. ...
>Does anyone know the latin name of the tree or any other info?
>Thanks,
>Shelora

Shelora,

I had fun googling for this. My first find was a hit to one of my
favorite Mexican cooking sites:
http://tinyurl.com/36mtk

Then I played some more and came up with its scientific name,
_Erythrina americana_ (the Erythr- part means red -- as in
erythrocyte.)

Anyway, do a Google search on the scientific name, both web and image,
and you may learn more than any of us might want to know! ;-)

Thanks for the opportunity to learn about something I'd never heard
of.

David