Posted to rec.food.cooking
blake murphy blake murphy is offline

Default "Miss Manners" on eating vegan food

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertain...nclick_check=1

>>> DEAR MISS MANNERS: My husband and I recently went to a
>>> play with some other couples from our church. Afterward, one couple
>>> invited everyone over to their house. We were served some delicious
>>> cake and iced tea, and had a nice time.
>>> Later, someone from the church told me that this couple was vegan. I
>>> didn't know what vegan was, and she explained that they don't eat any
>>> animal products. So I guess the cake didn't have milk or eggs, but I
>>> don't care. My husband, however, says they shouldn't force their
>>> dietary preferences on other people. He says there might have been soy
>>> milk in it, and he hates soy milk.
>>>
>>> I think he's making a big deal out of nothing. Do you think it was
>>> rude of them to serve us vegan food when they know we're probably not
>>> vegan?
>>>
>>> GENTLE READER: These people offered you some delicious cake that may
>>> or may not have contained an ingredient to which your husband would
>>> have objected if only he had detected it at the time? The nerve!
>>>
>>> The charge of force in connection with this gentle little visit would
>>> amuse Miss Manners if it were not so outrageous. Was your husband
>>> taken to this couple's house by force? Was he force-fed the cake?
>>>
>>> Apparently, the gentleman does not understand the concept of
>>> hospitality. Miss Manners advises keeping out of social circulation
>>> until he does.

>> miss manners is my hero. funny lady.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>http://www.amazon.com/Manners-Excruc.../dp/0393058743
>
>is one of my favorite books, ever!
>Judith Martin is awesome.

i saw her once in the audience at a memorial concert at the kennedy
center in d.c. for a washington *post* colleague. she looked as you
might expect, elegant but understated. a fine writer, too.

your pal,
blake