Posted to alt.coffee, alt.food.coffee, rec.food.drink.coffee,uk.food+drink.misc
opother opother is offline

Default Gaggia Cubika Coffee Machine

On Nov 21, 4:15 pm, opother > wrote:
> On Nov 20, 5:51 pm, "Charles Turner" >
> wrote:
>

> > Guys,

> > I've had a Cubika machine now for a number of months and it does seem to
> > make pretty good coffee.

> > However, I still don't seem to be able to get a really rich crema head.

> > I've tried all sorts of grind (I have a proper burr grinder), amounts of
> > coffee and type of grind, but I just can't seem to get it right.

> > In fact if I buy "Esspresso" ground coffee it is too fine and either the
> > brew will not flow or is very slow.

> > I notice that Gaggia used to do some sort of disc which was intended to
> > improve the crema, this is not now supplied with the machine, so I wonder
> > whether this has always been a problem.

> > Anyone got any advice or suggestions.

> > Thanks,

> > Charles

> continued..
>
> narrower (49 - 51mm) portafilter ?- Hide quoted text -

When I say deeper portafilters are more forgiving I mean in regards
to tamping tecnique not just dose and how hard you tamp. I find the
wider portafilters are more prone to channeling if you don't perfectly
spread out the coffee evenly which can be complicated when it clumps
together which happens often with doser grinders like my super jolly
rather than sprinkle evenly throughout the portafilter.

So I would in addition to adjusting for different size portafilter,
also do whatever you can to ensure as even a dispersal as possible and
tamp with manic perfection. I have been doing this for years and you
may have too ? But I still am not a perfect tamper myself.