Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] lenona321@yahoo.com is offline

Default "Miss Manners" on eating vegan food

Thought this was amusing.
Lenona.

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertain...nclick_check=1

DEAR MISS MANNERS: My husband and I recently went to a
play with some other couples from our church. Afterward, one couple
invited everyone over to their house. We were served some delicious
cake and iced tea, and had a nice time.
Later, someone from the church told me that this couple was vegan. I
didn't know what vegan was, and she explained that they don't eat any
animal products. So I guess the cake didn't have milk or eggs, but I
don't care. My husband, however, says they shouldn't force their
dietary preferences on other people. He says there might have been soy
milk in it, and he hates soy milk.

I think he's making a big deal out of nothing. Do you think it was
rude of them to serve us vegan food when they know we're probably not
vegan?

GENTLE READER: These people offered you some delicious cake that may
or may not have contained an ingredient to which your husband would
have objected if only he had detected it at the time? The nerve!

The charge of force in connection with this gentle little visit would
amuse Miss Manners if it were not so outrageous. Was your husband
taken to this couple's house by force? Was he force-fed the cake?

Apparently, the gentleman does not understand the concept of
hospitality. Miss Manners advises keeping out of social circulation
until he does.