Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent Kent is offline

Default Turkey On The Grill

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
> I'm making the turkey this year on my Char-Griller- lump on both
> sides, charcoal grate at it's lowest setting, turkey on the grates in
> the middle. Last year I did it this way, and I put the turkey directly
> on the grates, with a pan underneath the charcoal grate, to catch the
> juices and drippings. I was going to use them to make gravy.
> Unfortunately, it got too hot being directly between the lump, and all
> the liquids in the pan dried up. I'm thinking of putting the turkey in
> one of those oval roasters, and leaving the lid off. While that will
> solve the issue of saving the juices, etc, will using a roaster vs
> putting the turkey directly on the grate compromise the quality of the
> bird? Will using the roaster keep some smoke from getting to it, and
> into it?
>
> Thanks again for your help and expertise! I appreciate it!
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I suspect the geography of the Char-Griller doesn't allow you to do genuine
indirect cooking, though not knowing what exactly what you're using I don't
know. We roast turkey on the Weber kettle indirectly, with the charcoal and
wood in baskets well to the outside of the turkey. A drip pan goes
underneath the turkey to catch drippings, a crucial part of this. If the
"oven" temp. rises too much, put some water in the drip pan to keep
drippings from drying out. We cook the turkey breast side down, for 30 min.
and then rotate 90 degrees every half hour until the bird is done. We've
roasted turkey on a Weber kettle for 25 years this way and wouldn't do it
any other way. Put in wood chunks of choice. Always brine for 24 hours
before[preferably in the garage, but now and then in the frig], in a hefty
2.5 gallon Ziplock bag. Don't stuff the turkey. Make your stuffing on the
side with homemade turkey stock from your last turkey, or buy turkey parts
and make turkey stock now. Also use the stock, with the drippings to make
gravy.

More Rambling: Rehydrated dried porcini mushrooms, and turkey liver are
both somewhat unusual and good items to try in your stuffing, not
necessarily together.

Happy Thanksgiving to All,

Kent