Posted to rec.food.baking
Jen[_4_] Jen[_4_] is offline

Default Circa 1975: LAUSD Peanut Butter Cookie Bars?

On Nov 17, 3:52 pm, Dave Bell > wrote:
> Jen wrote:
> > For YEARS I have been wishing for the recipe for the peanut butter
> > cookies that I had as a kid in elementary school in the mid-to
> > late-70's.

> Since I haven't had the advantage of living in the LAUSD in the 70's,
> could you describe them? Were they layered, topping, etc.?
>
> Dave

OH boy. Yes, I can describe them. They were peanut butter cookies, bar
style, with absolutely no peanuts or chunkiness, just smooth, very
chewy and kid friendly. That is, no topping, no frills. Soft in the
middle, but not gooey, as they still managed to sort of 'soft-bend-
break' at the edges. They were usually warm from the oven. About 3/4
inch thick. I've made lots of peanut butter cookies in my day, but
none taste quite like these. I don't know if it was butter, oil,
shortening, or what that they used but it was amazing. In the winter,
we could get hot chocolate as well. Wowza.