Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Michael Boyd Michael Boyd is offline

Default Turkey On The Grill

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
> I'm making the turkey this year on my Char-Griller- lump on both
> sides, charcoal grate at it's lowest setting, turkey on the grates in
> the middle. Last year I did it this way, and I put the turkey directly
> on the grates, with a pan underneath the charcoal grate, to catch the
> juices and drippings. I was going to use them to make gravy.
> Unfortunately, it got too hot being directly between the lump, and all
> the liquids in the pan dried up. I'm thinking of putting the turkey in
> one of those oval roasters, and leaving the lid off. While that will
> solve the issue of saving the juices, etc, will using a roaster vs
> putting the turkey directly on the grate compromise the quality of the
> bird? Will using the roaster keep some smoke from getting to it, and
> into it?
>
> Thanks again for your help and expertise! I appreciate it!

I don't see how putting it in a roasting pan will adversly avect the
finished turkey. It might be a little soggy on the bottom is all.You could
put a little grate under the turkey, if you don't want this.
I've cooked turkeys in a Weber kettle for thirty years and they come out
delish.I put an aluminium pan under to ketch the drippings and keep a little
water (or beer or wine or apple juice) in it to keep the drippings from
drying out.