Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] nutdish@aol.com is offline

Default When Topflight Food Was Standard On Planes (Airline MenuCollection)...

On Nov 12, 8:39�am, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:
> http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/6...sweb12.article
>
> When topflight food was standard on planes
>
> November 12, 2007
> BY BEN GOLDBERGER, Chicago _Sun Times_ Reporter
>
> "United Airlines' December 5, 1967 Baltimore-to-San Francisco flight was a
> good one for a hungry passenger. The in-flight meal began with the French
> shellfish dish Coquilles St. Jacques, followed by a choice of lobster
> thermidor, grilled beef tournedos or double French lamb chops with mint
> jelly. There was soup and salad, of course. Dessert offerings included lime
> tartlette, chocolate torte and almond rum bar.
>
> Sure, that was in first class, but the economy class food of the period was
> nearly as extensive. Brunch for coach passengers on a 1969 United flight
> from San Francisco to Omaha featured a mushroom omelette, broiled ham and
> brandied hazelnut mousse. That same year, a Pan Am New York-to-Barbados
> flight treated economy flyers to stuffed Rock Cornish Hen with madeira sauce
> and a separate cheese course before dessert. A split of champagne? A buck,
> even.
>
> The menus for those high-altitude repasts and nearly 400 others are now
> viewable online through a new Northwestern University Library web site:
>
> http://digital.library.northwestern.edu/tranmenus.
>
> Most of the menus, which cover 54 airlines, cruise ships and railroads from
> 1929 to the present, come from the personal collection of the late
> Northwestern alum George Foster, a globe-trotting anthropologist who saved
> the menus from his extensive travels.
>
> The collection is both a nostalgic window on an era of air travel when
> elegant, multi-course meals were an essential part of a flight -- in any
> class -- and a cruel reminder of just how spartan air travel has become.
>
> Nearly 40 years after George Foster sampled hazelnut mousse en route to
> Omaha, almost every American airline has stopped serving complimentary meals
> in their main cabins on domestic flights. Passengers on United flights
> longer than three hours can buy pre-made salads and wraps for $5, or a
> snackbox for $3. Passengers on shorter flights have to settle for peanuts --
> even shrink-wrapped food is only available for purchase on longer trips.
> American Airlines offers similar options, as do most U.S. carriers.
>
> Blame 9/11 and the demand for lower fares, says David Stempler, president of
> the Air Travelers Association, a passenger advocacy group.
>
> "The airlines were in such a devastated financial condition after 9/11 that
> there was a move to just getting back up in the air with very few amenities,
> and slowly they realized the public was going to accept that, and no meals
> became the new normal," Stempler said. "We've had a race to the bottom as to
> fares, [and] in the process people went for the lower fares over food, over
> pillows, over all kinds of amenities. They keep voting with their wallets."

> [...]

Just came back from China flying 1st class all the way on American
Airlines and then some inter-China carriers.
All I could think about was in the "good old days" of Pan American
Airlines wherein they made the most incredible Grand Marnier Orange
Souffle cake available in 1st class mainly from the East to West Coast
and vice versa.
Do you have any access to the recipes from Pan Am?
BTW.....if I had to grade the food on American International 1st class
I would give it a "C-"......
On domestic AA flights we bring our own sandwiches from a great deli
even in 1st class.....

Stephanie