William Jennings

Default Chicharon or Pork Cracklings

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message >

> It's true. I gave up gardening when my rabbits and the
> neighborhood squirrels conspired against me, to eat everything before
> they yielded any fruit.

I can recall having squirrel and dumplings often at a boyhood friend's house
when I was about 12 years old. The dogs got most the rabbits.

Btw, I stopped by the store and picked up a bag of "Chicharones" which is
also labled "Pork Crackins" (no -g-)
Yes, I remember chicharones were cooked in their own rendered fat. The
recipe I gave was for home style chicharones.
You know I can't rightly recall the last time I saw a real pig. I did see a
live Russian bore on the Aransas Refuge a year
back with tusk about 6" long. He was just observable for a few seconds
before he slipped back in the brush. My girlfriend
wouldn't get out of the truck until we got back to Seadrift. She thought it
should be against the law to let something that big, mean and ugly be
allowed to run free.

doc