Douglas S. Ladden

Default Chicharon or Pork Cracklings

William Jennings on 24 Oct 2003 suggested:

> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>
>> Speaking of deep-freid cracklings, does anyone have a recipe for
>> this?

> Chicharon or Pork Cracklings
>
> Approx. 3 cups lightly salted water to 2 lb. pork rind cut into
> strips or
> 1inch squares are slow boiled approx. 30 minutes.
>
> These can be deep fried after air drying on a pan until crisp or
> baked in
> the oven for approx. 3 hours at 300 degrees F then deep fried in
> peanut oil ( 360 degrees) so they puff.
>

> doc

I'm not familiar with "Pork Cracklings", but I am familiar with
Chicharron, and how to make it, as my grandparents and uncles used to
raise pigs, and make chicharron from the freshly slaughtered animal. We
used to skin the animal, and tried to keep the skin as contiguous and
large as possible. then the skin was dropped into very hot oil in a
"cazo", a very large metal "pot", for lack of a better term. There was
no exact time it remained in the oil, you just eyeballed it, and could
tell when it was ready.

--Douglas