Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Good News: Sodium Nitrite/Nitrates declared heart healthy!!! :(

Andy wrote:

> Phred said...
>
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> >>My local NBC morning news reported "from a reliable source"
> >>http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=609977 that sodium nitrate and
> >>sodium nitrite are heart healthy.
> >>
> >>Well I don't buy it. Quite possibly the most falsified study ever
> >>conducted in the history of food science.
> >>
> >>They're proven carcinogens since the early 1970s. Certainly not GRAS.

> > What do carcinogens have to do with a healthy heart?
> >
> > Well, if you die of cancer before you have a heart attack then clearly
> > these chemicals prevent heart attacks... ;-)
> >
> > Cheers, Phred.

> Phred,
>
> I see the humor, only this "miracle-bullshit" research is being pushed on
> humans in the news as if they're safe NOW for us to consume. They're still
> in the mouse research phases for God's sake. And THEY STILL CAUSE CANCER!!!
>
> Wait until the Mountain Dew crew after decades of drinking brominated
> vegetable oil start dropping dead.
>
> Friggin' medical science Kreatives strike again.
>
> Reminding you again that you have a friend at the CDC. NOT!!!
>
> </RANT>
>
> Andy

Considering the extremely long history of sausages and other nitrate /
nitrite cured meats, it would seem likely that while in absurdly high
doses given to small rodents nitrates/nitrites may promote cancer, in
the human real world the effect is likely unmeasurably low.