Jim Lane

Default Waynes World for the working class

A1 WBarfieldsr wrote:
> "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
>
>>No thanks, the items I spoke of was not what I think the wealthy should
>>have, the items I spoke of, is what the common person should be able to
>>afford. I'm sure Grandma with her bad knees and arthritis along other
>>ailments, looks forward to climbing down stair-steps and long walks to

> the
>
>>market. Don't start with, other family members going for her, not every
>>grandma has other family members to run to the market every day. Still if
>>they Choose to live that way, more power to them, but if they Have to

> live
>
>>that way, because they can't afford to live any other way, then that is a
>>shame on the powers that keep them in poverty. I think people should live
>>the way it makes them happy, but if they are forced into poverty by the
>>powers that rule, then that is the shame.
>>--
>>William Barfieldsr
>>"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
. 199.17...

> [...]

> an effective wage for most firms or workers. In the informal sector, in
> turn, there is considerable noncompliance with the mandated minimum wage,
> especially among part-time and female workers. As a result, significant
> numbers of workers are paid at or below minimum wages.
>
> ° In Colombia, minimum wages have a much stronger impact on wages, judging
> from their proximity to the average wage and both cross-section and time
> series estimates. The estimates imply that the elasticity of low-paid
> unskilled employment with respect to minimum wages is in the range of 2 to
> 12 percent.
>

> This paper --- a product of the Poverty and Human Resources Division,
> Policy Research Department --- is part of a larger effort in the department
> to analyze the implications of labor market distortions. The study was
> funded by the Bank's Research Support Budget under the research project
> "The Impact of Labor Market Policies and Institutions on Economic
> Performance" (RPO 678-46). Copies of this paper are available free from the
> World Bank, 1818 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20433. Please contact Sheila
> Fallon, room N8-057, telephone 202-473-8009, fax 202-522-1153, Internet
> address sfallon @worldbank.org (41 pages).
> http://econpapers.hhs.se/paper/wopwobale/1514.htm
> ************************************************** *************************
> *******************
>
> Mexico sets small increase in country's meager minimum wage
> ASSOCIATED PRESS December 22, 2000
>
> Mexico City - Despite widespread dissatisfaction with low minimum wages
> here, a quasi-government board granted workers an increase of only $0.25
> cents per day (2.45 pesos) for 2001.
>
> Starting Jan. 1, the lowest-paid employees - about 20 percent of Mexican
> workers earn the minimum wage - will get 40.35 pesos per day, or about U.S.
> dollars $4.21, a 6.5-percent increase from the current rate.
>
> An announcer at Mexico City's AM Formato 21 radio station reacted with
> shock to the decision, telling listeners to "call in, if you can think of
> anything you can buy with two pesos."
>
> The median salary *(not 'mean' or 'average') here *(Mexico City) is about
> three times the minimum.
>
> The increase was exactly in line with the government's inflation goal of
> 6.5 percent for 2001, meaning that, even if the government meets it's goal,
> workers will see no real-term gains.
>
> That comes on the heels of nearly two decades in which the purchasing power
> of the minimum wage has steadily shrunk, losing about 75 percent of its
> value since its peak in 1980.
>
> The minimum wage level is set by a commission made up of government, labor
> and business leaders. Labor leaders had earlier said they would demand a
> double-digit salary hike, but apparently abandoned that position.
>
> Workers in rural regions can be paid a sub-minimum wage of as little as
> U.S. dollars $3.75 (35.85 pesos) per day under the new rate schedule.

Really, I don't think you understand what you have posted (and in
violation of copyright law, too, I'll bet). Square this article with
your statement about what the common person in Mexico SHOULD BE ABLE to
afford. About their refridgerators and stoves, while you're paradiong
your ignorance.

jim