Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ravenlynne Ravenlynne is offline

Default Who's coming for Thanksgiving?

Cshenk wrote:
> "ravenlynne" wrote

>>> Perfect for the guy that is a little shy and away from home on a big
>>> holiday for the first time. .

>> I remember being 19 and stationed in Japan...really the first time away
>> from home. Alone in the dorm on christmas day making Kraft Mac n Cheese a
>> little while before my shift. And crying. I was lonely and homesick.

> I hadnt answered this thread as I thouhgt I would be a bit to 'unique' yet
> again. <grin>. I always think of that lone sailor away for the first time
> like you were.

I hadn't decided, but things have been odd this year, and I didn't know
if I felt like being "invaded" by people that I've never met. But the
more I thought about it, the more I felt that I wanted to do it. I just
emailed the base ombudsman who's running it and told her that I have room.

> I have no clue who's going to be eating with us for thanksgiving this time.
> When I was on the Fort Mchenry in Sasebo,

I was at Yokota. (prime duty on an AF base for a squid)....After I had
my daughter and moved on base, I had my whole command over for
Thanksgiving. It was great.

> Was it worth it? HELL YES!!!! Had so much kitchen help I didnt know what
> to do with them all but loved every second. Meantime the country boys had a
> perfect fire laid in the fireplace the whole time and were teaching the city
> kids how to keep one going.

Sounds like you had a great time! I'd love a fireplace on days like
today...cloudy, rainy, chilly.

Apps:

Baked brie with caramel/walnuts and crusty bread
Mini quiche
veggie tray
deviled eggs

Dinner:
Turkey
Gravy
Dressing (I don't do stuffed turkeys...I just do the "stuffing" in a pan
and bake it. It's loaded with sausage, onions, celery, apples and
cranberries)
Sweet potato casserole
corn
green beans
maybe a potato salad
maybe ambrosia
rolls

Dessert
Bourbon chocolate pecan pie
Pumpkin praline cheesecake

I don't have formal seating..but I do have lots of seating, so I'll
probably put everything out buffet style and sit where we can.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com