Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sarah Gray Sarah Gray is offline

Default Who's coming for Thanksgiving?

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> MareCat wrote:
>> Still working on the menu, but we're pretty traditional when it comes
>> to Thanksgiving dinner: turkey, dressing, gravy, garlic mashed taters,
>> broccoli-rice casserole, some other veggie sides (maybe green beans
>> with slivered almonds or squash). Pumpkin or sweet potato pie and
>> pecan pie with freshly-whipped cream for dessert.

> I don't remember whom I was talking to several years ago, but I said
> that our Thanksgiving meal was going to be standard traditional. My
> acquaintance asked what I meant by that. Little did I know that there
> are dozens are traditional Thanksgiving meals. Scads of people serve
> roast beef and think turkey is weird. Historically, venison was the
> Thanksgiving meal of choice in some sections of the country. Turkey,
> which I always thought meant roasted, turns out to be minced or fried.
> And fist fights can break out over the meaning of stuffing.
>

> For me, a Thanksgiving meal must incorporate the following ingredients:
>

> apples
> corn
> cranberries
> pecans
> potatoes
> pumpkin
> sweet potatoes and/or winter squash
> turkey

To me it's:

Roast Turkey
Cranberry sauce (jellied is ok, but I like the chopped-whole-with orange
kind)
Winter squash
Mashed Potatoes
Stuffing
Pumpkin
mincemeat (a recent addition!)

I have been at Thanksgivings where one or more of these components was
missing, and it just wasn't the same...
My brother thinks I'm gross because I'll layer leftovers on challah as a
sandwich (i.e. turkey, squash, potatoes, stuffing, cranberry). a
"Thanksgiving sandwich" is one of my favorite parts of the whole thing!

--

Sarah Gray