Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Who's coming for Thanksgiving?

On Nov 11, 4:50 pm, (Little Malice) wrote:

> My dad was just saying last night that my grandmother always made him
> a little side dish of oyster stuffing on holidays. I want to make a
> bit for him, but he couldn't remember how she made it. Do you use
> large oysters, cut up, or tiny ones? And do you cook them first?

I use one large can of oysters, slightly chopped, and a small tin of
smoked oysters, chopped. Sometimes I also chop some black olives and
add them, for a different saltiness. So, it's typically: cornbread,
celery, onion, oysters, smoked oysters, olives, stock to moisten.
Poaching fresh oysters separately as a prep step would be a
theoretical improvement but not worth the trouble, imho, for such a
multi-dish meal as T-Day usually is. And the result is just fine. -
aem