Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry[_3_] Terry[_3_] is offline

Default Who's coming for Thanksgiving?

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:12:15 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming
>up, I thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>

>Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?

We're going over to the neighbor's---wonderful friends, they treat our
kids like a second set of grandchildren---and we're bringing the
turkey. Three years ago they came over for Thanksgiving, and raved
about how great the turkey and the gravy were. Last year they invited
us over and asked "If we buy the turkey, would you please prepare it?"
That may sound strange but I took it as a great compliment.... There
were about a dozen people over there last year, and all of them loved
the turkey.

So I'm doing it again this year. Funny thing is that there's nothing
special about the type of turkey. It's brined overnight, roasted
un-stuffed and upside down, flipped right-side-up for the last hour or
so to brown the breast. Turning it over while hot is a little
difficult (use silicone potholders and be very careful), but the
tender juiciness of the breast after that treatment is worth it.

We used to drive to my folks in PA for Thanksgiving but a 750 mile
trip on Wednesday, then driving back Saturday, is getting to be a bit
too much.

Best -- Terry