Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis Nexis is offline

Default Who's coming for Thanksgiving?

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've been away from this group for a while, but with Thanksgiving coming up, I
> thought it a good idea for me to hang out here for a while.
>

> Who's coming to your Thanksgiving meal?
>

> My best friend in another state has twin daughters at college nearby. I've invited
> them for Thanksgiving and feel like such a sneak. She had to diaper them and bring
> them up. Now I move in and get them for the easy fun stuff. I told them they were
> welcome to invite a roommate or anyone else who would like an invitation for the
> weekend. They've invited a friend originally from Serbia and Croatia and whose
> family is now in Ohio. So I'll give them a bedroom and let them sort out who
> sleeps on bedrolls on the floor.
>

> Definites: turkey and stuffing, cranberry dressing, baked squash, pumpkin pie,
> apple crisp.
>

> Optional and still in the planning stage: pecan pie, corn bread, something green
> like spinach or kale, cranberry muffins.
>

> I also need to feed them Wednesday night, the Friday after Thanksgiving, and
> Saturday before delivering them back to the dorm: crepes suzettes, roast beef
> sandwiches, quinoa-parsley salad, something with phyllo dough like tiropita.
>

> --Lia

This year, I think it will just be my husband and I and the kids (3). Pretty sure his
brother is going to be dragged to his in-laws, so they won't be here til Friday, and
our friends that used to dine with us are unable to attend due to a grandparent's
illness.

Just making a turkey breast, I think, maybe two so I can send some leftovers home
with the eldest. Of course, dressing and mashed taters. Not sure if I'll go with the
yukons or the red skinned golds. Green beans are a must (not the casserole thing
though, these are made with shallots, orange zest, pignons and Murray River flake
salt), and corn for my daughter. Oh, and dinner rolls, of course

There'll be pies, but I haven't decided for certain, except I know I'll be making
this lovely coconut pie I came up with one year. It has almonds in the crust, and a
layer of ganache between crust and filling, and lots of toasted coconut on top. My
daughter calls it almond joy pie.

Sounds like you'll have your hands full!

kimberly