Douglas S. Ladden

Default holiday cooking

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as
(Jim Weller) shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking on Fri, 03 Oct
2003 06:00:22 GMT:

> fishman99 > wrote
>
>> i love the way my mother cooked, she use to make little empanadas of
>> pumpkin and a cookie called biscoshos? an anise flavored cookie. any
>> help with these recipies will be helpful. thank you all.

> Here's what you're looking for....

No!!! Okay, maybe the Biscocho recipes were OK, but you can't
have real Pumpkin Empanadas starting with canned pumpkin. Ugh! Please
enjoy the recipe I've provided.

--Douglas

The following recipe from cooks.com sounds far closer to the real thing:

PUMPKIN EMPANADAS

EMPANADA DOUGH:

6 c. sifted flour
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 c. shortening

Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add shortening and mix again.

ANISE TEA:

2-3 tbsp. anise seed
2 c. water

Boil. Add anise tea gradually to dough. Work to dough until well enough
to roll out. Makes 3" to 3" balls and roll out into a 5" diameter
tortilla. Add pumpkin mix in middle and fold in half.

PUMPKIN MIX:

2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 med. pumpkin

Cut pumpkin into pieces and place in pan and boil until pieces are
tender. When cool, remove pumpkin from peeling with spoon and place in
pan. Add sugar, ground cinnamon and boil until a little thick. After
placing pumpkin mix in middle of tortilla and folding it in half, press
together with finger, then fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30
minutes or until brown on top. Makes 2 1/2 dozen.